A nice looking late season storm is about to arrive!
An oiled Red-throated Loon was swimming around a local lake on Thursday and Friday. My girlfriend and I had just finished discussing whether or not it could be rescued from the water, when it swam directly towards us and clumsily hauled itself out of the water. That made rescuing the bird a more realistic proposition and we quickly made a call to the Santa Barbara Wildlife Care Network. Thankfully, the loon showed no signs of returning to the water, and within ten minutes a volunteer arrived and was able to easily capture the bird. Hopefully it is now much cleaner and on its way back to the wild.
I’m excited to share the first preview of the Discovery Channel’s documentary series on North America. Two years ago, I had the pleasure of chatting about bobcats with Nick Lyon from the Wild Horizons production company. Because they are so elusive, bobcats are almost never filmed for major documentaries. I want to thank Nick for putting in the work to document this incredible animal and share that with the Discovery Channel audience.
I also have to thank Trish Carney for posting the link to the preview on her blog. She’s doing some of the most original bobcat photography and I always look forward to seeing new work from her. This preview looks incredible and I’m really looking forward to watching the series in 2013.
Via Trish Carney
According to this press release by the Arizona Game and Fish Department, an anonymous hunter’s trail cam has capture images of an Ocelot in southern Arizona. This appears to be the same cat that was seen in February and March 2011.
The big news of the day is the official release of Adobe Lightroom 4. I’ve been playing around with the beta version since it was released in January, and am looking forward to working with the final version.
One of the features that I think I’ll enjoy the most is the ability to change color balance selectively using the adjustment brush. I have been using Viveza 2 to do this, but I’m not always happy with the color balance, and I don’t like that I need to convert a RAW file to a TIFF in order to use it. I decided to compare the results from Nik’s Viveza 2 and LR4 beta last night, by really pushing some color changes in the photo below. I should mention that this is not how I would process this photo normally, but I was curious to see how far I could push the processing using these two pieces of software.
Here’s the original RAW conversion with the sliders and curves zeroed out.
I then did some basic post-processing to create a version that I could be sent to Viveza for processing, or that I could recreate in LR4 beta. I have cropped out the blown highlights and greatly increased contrast and clarity. For further processing, I needed to decide in which direction to push the color balance. My initial thoughts were to make it quite a bit warmer, since it was taken as the sun was setting. However, it is the beginning of Spring, and I could also make a case for highlighting the new green leaves budding out.
I decided that I should try both ideas in the same photo. Doing that is essentially impossible in Lightroom 3, so I thought I would bring the image into Viveza or LR4 beta and see what they could do to produce greener foreground leaves and a warmer background. The next two images are obviously overdone, but I wanted to make the results apparent. Here’s the Viveza 2 version. I found it a bit challenging to get the colors I was looking for, but I eventually got a green that I thought was ok.
And here’s the Lightroom 4 beta version.
I like the softness in the background of the LR4 version, but I think I like the more refined green of the Viveza 2 version. It makes it really easy to create sophisticated selection masks, and did a good job of altering the leaf color, without affecting the dark background. In the end, it looks like it will still take a combination of software to get the results I’m looking for.
I was practicing my panning skills on some gulls, when I decided to try for some abstract shots of the distant shoreline. This one turned out quite nicely.